Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hickory Horned devil caterpillar...Regal Moth

This big guy was resting on my garage door last evening...he was huge
after looking for him on the web for a while,(ask Shelia) I found him... I go crazy trying to learn about things like this...His wing span was about 5 or 6 inches..His head was big and fuzzy, and bright orange and yellow

Look at those eyes...and legs...He was awesome..But if you really want to see him look up "Big, Stinging, Hungry Caterpillars of the East Coast"...and look at him as a caterpillar, He is called Hickory horned devil caterpillar because of he likes to feed on hickory trees..and he most defiantly looks like the devil!!!

5 comments:

Brewton Girl said...

Great pictures, I find these creatures quite interesting too!

Shelia said...

Thats an awesome moth! Didn't something similar to him fight Godzilla in downtown Tokyo?? :)

Valerie said...

Ehew! He is ugly while a caterpillar, but colorful.
Nice pictures, though.

Anonymous said...

I clicked on him to enlarge the pic, boy his head is ugly. I guess he would have me running the other way!

AmyWhit said...

wow. that thing is huge! guess I haven't been on the blogs in a while because this is the first i've seen of him. great picture. cute ones of the kids at the beach too. we actually made it out to fripp for a day this summer. it's a shame not to make it to the beach at least once a summer considering we live so close.