Thursday, September 6, 2007

Agraulis vanillae (Linnaeus, 1758)

No it's not a foreign language, I was doing some research on this butterfly and this is the scientific name.
The Common name is Gulf Fritillary.The cool thing was the male patrols for the female while she lays her eggs.. (when is the last time anybody patrolled for you while you did your business??) they overwinter in the south so that is why we are seeing them so much right now.
They love to feed on lantana and this little tropical plant, can't remember the name right now, I got in Myrtle Beach at the beginning of the summer.
Generally, they just like hangin around...

7 comments:

jamie said...

They are beautiful!! So bright and vibrant! And I could use some patrolling while I do my business!!! Maybe I should hire one!LOL!!

Nancy S. said...

Thanks for the information on the butterflies. I can't tell which ones are patrolling and which ones are laying eggs. I just know they are plentiful in my yard.

Shelia said...

Great shots! Glad you found the one you were looking for.

Valerie said...

Nice pictures. The colors are so vibrant. Penny recently got a butterfly tattoo on her leg.

Queen of Foo Foo said...

Those are really pretty pictures. It seems like the butterflys are in abundance right now. Especially the plain yellow ones.

AmyWhit said...

I love the last one, Ms. Judy. You are doing a great job with your blog. You go, girl. I've not even had the camera out the past two days!

Jeff said...

Actually Mom....it is a foreign language. It's Latin. But the pictures are great anyway. Love ya.