Saturday, September 15, 2007

Francis Marion

Today I was "rambling" (that's what my Nanny would have called it). I had some errands to do and I was just taken my time (a rare thing). We all know what a beautiful place we call home. So I saw some really pretty swamps today...I know swamp and pretty in the same sentence.. only a Carolina Girl could say that! But as I rambled...I got to thinking about Francis Marion...
you know..."Swamp Fox, Swamp Fox
Tail on his hat
Nobody knows where the swamp Fox at.."
Brigadier General Francis Marion fought against
the British in the revolutionary war...His parents were French Huguenots, and first generation
South Carolinians..anyway he was raised here in Winyah, SC (near Georgetown) and roamed the swamps, he was so good at eluding the British; they gave him the nick-name
Swamp Fox.. because he wore a fox tail on his hat
his men wore feathers..I was also thinkin if Jake, Charlie, Luke, Eric, or Riley, or any of the other boys we love had been named Francis...they would rather be called Swamp Fox too..

If ya get a chance his life makes for interesting reading..not all of it complimentary as you might expect.. I love this history..

4 comments:

AmyWhit said...

The first picture IS pretty. I'm not much of a history buff though. You're right about the Francis thing...I think I'd be finding a nickname for that one!

Anonymous said...

Love to look at the swamp pics, but I would not want to be there. So many bugs to bite you!!!

Shelia said...

Beautiful shots. I am a total history buff! Love it!

Brewton Girl said...

I enjoy the swamps too!! When I was little and we lived in Grays, we used to go snake shootin in the swamps!