Saturday, July 28, 2007

Deep in the heart of Dixie

We went to Georgia today to explore our soon to be get-away place (Lord willing). There are lots of beautiful country churches along the highways (if I had to guess, on the two hour ride I'd say about 20 or more). Most from the Civil War ear. I finally got to stop at this one near Wade Plantation. This church is a Methodist Church with a cemetery. Rev. Peyton Wade established the church in 1823 and Stephen Wade donated the land for the church 1827. There were lots of Civil War Veterans buried there. This tomb stone was for a Mr. Williams Mears who sered in the 47th Ga. infantry Co. D. He was born in 1840 and died in 1917... Families have placed Confederate Flags at the tombs of their Soldiers.
Wade Plantation is Screven County Ga.
It's 22,000 acres and has a large 1400 acre pecan orchard today.
This is the entrance into the cemetery, these trees are huge,
beautiful dogwoods. The Wade family has a rich history here. I hope to stop again on a better day, it was raining today, so I can spend more time reading the markers and such.
I'm not in to what I'll call "redneck" confederates
(the ones who hate) but I sure am interested in the history...after all it did happen..like it or not..it happened here..in our south; the out come was people were freed from slavery. I think that was a good thing.

5 comments:

Shelia said...

Those are Dogwoods?! WOW! I've never seen one that large. It is so interesting going to an old place like that and finding out about the people.

jamie said...

Those are really big dogwoods!!! That is cool that they place the confederate flag on the headstones of their soldiers, after all that is what they were fighting for..

I can't wait to go see the property!!

AmyWhit said...

I love the photo of the entrance to the cemetary. Those trees are great!

Queen of Foo Foo said...

Looks like an interesting cemetary.
I had a lot of relatives in the Civil war. A very pretty picture.

Judy said...

Amen, Judy, Amen! I loved your last comments. And the pictures were great! What a beautiful piece of history you captured!