Saturday, August 11, 2007

Yes, we have pink Bananas!

I saw this small banana tree at a nursery a few years ago.
I thought it was pretty neat, pink bananas and all.
I planted it in a large pot and put it out on the pool deck.
It immediately out grew the pot..
so I took most of it and planted it in the ground
and left a small piece in the pot...
It immediately out grew the pot again,
so I planted the entire plant in the ground, it now covers the whole end
of the house. I have given lots of it away.
It will die back in the winter and come roaring back in the spring.
Most of the time there are lots of the pink bananas...they are usually small.
This year there seems to be even more and they also seem bigger.
But alas, they are ornamental taste yucky..very hard, starchy and sticky.
unique anyway.
PS: I can save some seeds or you can dig up a plant.

5 comments:

AmyWhit said...

Very pretty, indeed! But I don't even like yellow bananas!

jamie said...

That first pic is really good!! I wonder if they would grow up here??? hmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

OH YES I need some of that Please. They are absolutly gorgeous.

Nancy S. said...

Never seen a pink banana before. They are very pretty. Of course I would love to come dig up a small one for my yard. I am NOT good with seeds, they never come up. I am sorry to say even my moose poo seeds, still waiting, nothing.

Brewton Girl said...

I'd love to try some in my yard. I transplanted one when we moved but it died. It was not as pretty as the pink one!