Monday, April 9, 2007

Apiary

What you ask is an Apiary? Tic.. Toc.. Tic..Toc.. give up? It's a honey bee business. Back in the 1930's Willie Clyde Blankenship (Wayne's grandfather) brought his family (Wayne's dad included who was 12 at the time) from Mississippi to Lena, SC and worked in this building extracting honey they had gathered. They processed honey under the name Stove's Apiary. They would travel from Minnesota to Florida taking bees and beehives. The taste of the honey would vary depending on what was blooming, clover, orange trees, and even sourweed.
The building is right on Highway 3 just outside of Estill, SC.
In the 50's they moved the business to Hampton, SC and produced honey under the name of Carolina Honey. When Wayne was little he helped put the lables on the jars.
I had to pick Wayne's mom brain for some of this information. She said she probably still had some of the old "stuff" from the Carolina Honey Co. around some where so maybe I will get some photos of those things.
I love to find out things about our families, and I ask a lot of questions, but how else will we know? I've waited to long to ask some questions.
Well, that's it for today. I hope to have some more Buzzing news to report later.
This is such a good way to preserve our family history.


7 comments:

AmyWhit said...

Interesting, as always. I need to ask questions too, before it's too late.

Heather said...

I would have had no idea! I didn't know they came from Mississippi. Where was Granny Ship from originally?

I love your themes...I'll need them to pass on down the line...

Wendy said...

Your post amaze me. Always something new and different. I love Estill, SC area. Shane works for Elliott Sawmilling over there. He buys timber! Nice pictures.

THank you also for your kind words. Shane is a great father and well the kids are perfect mmm someday's!

oldav8r said...

Judy, hopefully your kids are printing all these blogs for the babies, what a great way to share the family memories. Keep at it, the rest of us are interested too!

Shelia said...

I love listening to your family stories Ju. Always interesting and entertaining. So the other half of the family actually did something outside S.C., amazing! LOL

jamie said...

I remember all the beehives Papa ship had over by the shop. I am not tooo fond of bees though, I mustve not gotten that in the blood line. Actually kinda allergic... We (me and bees) have a hate/hate relationship....remember.....

Love the pictures though!!!!

jamie said...

You need to go take a pic of the house dad grew up in, in Hampton..... The kids would love to see that!!!