Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Stone Mountain Georgia

While in Atlanta, nothing would do my family but we go to "The Mountain" as they affectionately call it. My cousin Todd worked here while in high school and even some while in college (I think). Now, my Uncle Bill works there part time (he's retired from IRS). They get real disappointed when they hear people say, "It's just a rock". Because it has such a history.
This is a shot as we were going up in the skylift. That's the Atlanta skyline you see in the
background. It was very hazy but I think you can still make out the skyline.
This is on top of the Mountain, looking towards Tenn. The Mountain is the largest outcrop of granite in the world. It's very open, you feel weird being so high and on such a flat surface. I have to admit I was a little weak in the knees, Aunt Alice said "you can walk over to the edge they have a fence". I passed!
This is a carving in the side of the Mountain. It is Robert E. Lee, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, and Jefferson Davis. They say Indians used the top of the Mountain for ceremonial meetings. The Mountain has a little darker side of history too. The KKK used the Mountain for rallies around 1914. But now it is a very family friendly park with lots of stuff to do.


4 comments:

jamie said...

It is so eery being on top of a mountain like that. You feel like one wrong step and ALL THE WAY DOWN you go. I would hate to be the one carving that on the side of the mountain!! LOL

Shelia said...

I hope I will see this one day. It looks amazing! Great pics Ju!

AmyWhit said...

Hey, I can say I've been there! It's been about 13 years...but I was there. We went to Atlanta for a Brave's game and went to "the mountain" for the light show one night.

oldav8r said...

Thanks for the pic of Stone Mountain. I passed it everytime I had to go home to Chattanooga when my parents were sick. I always wanted to stop and check it out, but couldn't. Now you need to visit a real mountain! Like Look out Mountain or Signal Mountain in Chattanooga. I'll have to look some old pics and post them for everybody.