Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Lobeco

This is a tour of Lobeco. I know that we fly through here everyday. But I grew up here.
This is the first stop. It's Langford's Mill work now, but it was Marvin Transport when I was a kid. Ralph and Turner Marvin (they were brothers) owned a long haul, truck farming operation. My dad drove a truck for the Marvin's when he and my mom were first married and until I was about seven. There was always lots of big old Mack Trucks around and it was just a two lane highway then. My Aunt, Uncle and Nanny Sadie (my dad's mom) lived across the street. Only two houses remain and you can't see them for the over growth.
This is (was) Lobeco Elementary School. 1st & 2nd grade were in the same room as well as 3rd & 4th, and 5th & 6th. Three rooms six grades. The corner windows are where Mrs. Kellem's Principal Office was (although I never saw the inside of it, really)Two class rooms on the front, one class room and the lunch room on back with bathrooms on each end, one for boys and one for girls. The cool part was my Nanny Sadie was the Lunch-room-lady. All the kids called her "Aunt Sadie" so when I started school here I called her "Aunt Sadie" too. She really was a good cook to this day those who went to school with me talk about her cooking. My mom and dad went to LES too. The playground had the BEST silding board in the world! We would slide down on waxpaper, wow we'd fly. Lots of life long friends were made in this little town.
This is the Library. A few years ago they started having LES reunions. And because of that the Library gain recognition and was renovated by monies collected and by county funds.

This is Mr. Earl's store. Mr. Earl and Mrs. Ruby Blanchard ran the store and lived in the back. This was the Lobeco's "Wal Mart". You could get anything from a hair net to a pair of overalls; Lunch meat to an axe; aspirin to cold drink. In the summer this was a welcome refreshment. He had a candy counter where you could climb up on the feed sacks and pick out 2 pieces of candy for 1 cent. So if ya do the math a dime could get you 20 pieces of candy! and a coke 7 cents (that's a nickle and a return deposit on the bottle, from the day before, of 2 cent). He had a pot belly stove that was the heat in the winter. Mr. Earl would gather the items as you requested them, he always wiped the top of the cans off with a cloth. Everyone said we were so friendly that when you drove though Lobeco everybody waved at you...but really we were fanning gnats!



8 comments:

Shelia said...

Judy I think thats one of my most favorite posts yet. I always wondered about the Blanchard store. You painted a picture for me! Thank you!

AmyWhit said...

That's the God's honest truth about the gnats! It's fun to hear things about you from when you were a child....and had to walk to school...uphill both ways...in the snow!! *wink* Just kiddin'. It is fun to hear all of your stories from the past.

Judy said...

I'm hoping to get all this down before I; what was I saying??? anyway as you can tell I need to hurry!

Heather said...

Hey Mom!

Thanks. You're hitting my request right on the noggin.

LT

jamie said...

I remember going to that store when I was a kid. I loved going because Button, a pitbull??, would be there to greet me. It was the nicest dog! (not like Amy's SIL).

jamie said...

We would go to Aunt Margie's house and would walk down to the store? right? I don't remember how old I was. I remember being upset when we couldn't go to Aunt Margie's anymore.

The other store that I remember that was sort of like that was Cape's, in Sheldon. It always smelled like a brown bag to me... Don't ask me, I have always been funky about smells.

Good job mom taking us back!! My how things change!!

Wendy said...

Thank you Ms. Judy! I lived half my life in that area and did not know any of that history. I Love hearing the story's of growing up. AMY don't pick on her!!!!

Heather said...

I love these posts about your childhood and family history!

Keep bringing them on the blogsite!

I request a picture of your flower beds when they are ready...it's where I get the inspiration for my own. I also love your planters (urns) and what you put in them.

Ha