Thursday, March 15, 2007

I found it! What? I found history!

The trough...it was given in 1914 by the Civic League, for public use.
The Triangle Park from the corner of Bladen Street and North Street.



This is a Bird bath that is now in the triangle park where the trough used to sit,
picture taken from Bay Street.



I love Beaufort! You should have seen it today. It was wonderful. As I was riding around town doing endless errands the other day I spotted the "Triangle Park". It's a little park that is encompassed on three sides by Bat Street, North Street, and Bladen Street. Hence the triangle. I was disappointed and did not post the pictures because when I was a kid there was an old trough in the park and it was gone! Years ago, it was a watering place for horses who had come to town. (you know before cars). I always loved it. When I was a kid there was a store called Koth's right behind the park and we'd walk up there for a coke after school. (don't tell my mom) I always checked out the trough. Anyway, my mom was over on Tuesday and I asked her what happened to the trough...and she knew...it had been moved to the water front park and is now used to water the Carriage Ride horses downtown. I found it! and here it is for you to see.

6 comments:

oldav8r said...

O.K. now that trough is older than everyone os us. I'm glad it is still being used for its original purpose. Usually old stuff gets moved by the city and all of a sudden nobody know where it went. What a gooddetective you are!

AmyWhit said...

Thank you for my Beaufort history lesson for today! Seriously, that's a neat fact...and I had no idea.

But, I DID see Beaufort today. If you've checked my blog, you've already seen that I was just down the street from you taking pictures today. LOL. We're gonna be out around town with our cameras and run into one another one of these days!

jamie said...

Wow!!! I didn't even know about the trough. That is cool. We will have to check it out whenever I make it back home. Is Koths still there?? They used to have THE BEST icees. I love the water fountain full of flowers.

Maybe you and Amy could see each other downtown and have a picture of each other taking a picture. hehe

Shelia said...

Koths' building is still there Jamie but its a different business now. That just happened a couple years ago, they were there for a loooong time! Judy I think the pictures turned out just fine. I love to hear the "way back when" stories!

Sister & Girls said...

Very interesting, thanks! See the south has so many interesting things to take pictures of. We have nothing other than mountains, potholes,and more snow at the moment! UGH!

Heather said...

I didn't know about the trough either! I remember seeing the Triangle Park when we lived on North Street, but never knew the history. I think you should post more of Beaufort's treasures with us. I love history, or in your case, HERstory!