Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Last round...Headin' Home








I was passing the 6L's tomato fields in Lobeco today. I saw the guys getting the fields ready to plant tomatoes. Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and the like used to be a big deal here. (Amy's family was a big part of that) The farmers call it Truck Farming, because they grew, harvested, packed, and shipped, by truck, right out of our community. In it's hay day everyone worked at the "packing shed". You didn't get paid much, but you made good money because of the huge amount of hours you put in. My mom in her teens, me in my teens, and even Jamie & Amy have worked in the "packing shed". (my dad drove the long haul truck when I was little) I even road the tractor and planted tomatoes! Not a glamorous job but great fun. You can not beat a ripe low country tomato right off the vine. These guys were heading home when I saw them, it was 80degrees and the sand gnats were out in full force today, I'm sure they were wondering who the crazy lady with the camera was. Hope they don't by a paper looking for the pictures. Hey, Charlie will this do for equipment?


5 comments:

AmyWhit said...

Boy does this bring back memories...not all unpleasant ones. LOL. I pretty much hated the packing shed....but I didn't mind riding the planter behind the tractor and planting tomatoes. I used to dream about cucumbers back in those days (some might call them nighmares!). Why, poor ol' Jamie even went so far as to break her arm to get out of the packing shed! LOL.

Good job, Ms. Judy. I've been keeping my eye on those fields of plastic rows for days wondering when I would see them out planting. I guess you beat me to it!

jamie said...

Oh my....the packing shed. Those were the best tasting cucumbers ever!! I have to say, we were dirty as crap after work. All that wax from the boxes.

I truly didn't think that my arm was broken. I did feel like I was going to pass out, but I was praying like heck that it wasn't broken. My dad told me that day to "stay off that 4-wheeler." I just knew he was going to kill me.

I dreamt about cucumbers, too, I actually caught myself sitting up in my bed going through the motions of sorting them. Crazy huh??

What memories!!Good pics mom. Nothing like John Deere Green!!!

oldav8r said...

Thoese are great pics Judy. Stirred up a few memories I see, generations of shared memories!

Shelia said...

Can't wait for that first tomatoe sandwich!

Shelia said...

Ok, about the spelling, LOL can i blame it on being sick? I don't know how that "e" got on the end of tomato!