Sunday, March 18, 2007

Same Direction


I have been looking at church steeples for a while wanting to post them. I've looked at a lot and will probably have more to post later. Anyway, I thought I would start with the two most "famous" ones in Beaufort. Both of these churches were used as hospitals during the civil war, so they have a great history. One less known legend has it that a prominent man in Beaufort, who will remain anonymous, attended to THE Baptist Church of Beaufort (top photo). His wife attended the Episcopal Church (bottom photo). He offered to donate the money to place a steeple on the Baptist Church because it did not a steeple at the time, he had one stipulation...it had to taller then the one on the Episcopal Church....not sure why....but if you notice the BCB steeple does not have a cross on top...it has a weather vain instead. It amazes me what crazy things become important to some folks...but one, observation I've made while studying the "great" and the "small" steeples, they all have one thing in common they all point in the same direction..... up. If only we could all stay that focused how much better off we'd be. So I hope my Sunday surprise was worth the wait.

5 comments:

AmyWhit said...

We must have been blogging at the same time! I love the exposure of the sky in the first one, but I think the second photo is my favorite! I like the vertical orientation, and how the steeple is framed in by the trees. You are rockin' here lately, lady!

Are you becoming friends with the new camera? Learning your controls, etc. ?

Judy said...

Just dumb luck!!

jamie said...

I think that second one truly needs to be a type of Professional photo sold in Beaufort. Hey girls why don't we open up our own gallery!!!! We could make lots of mooolah off of our pictures!!!!

oldav8r said...

Judy I've heard the story about the steeples too. Funny how Christians have always had their pride, even those old devout men! I guess it is something humans cannot get out of. Great pics, are you skipping work to go take pictures? Great if you can!!!

Heather said...

I love the pictures. The second is my favorite also. All we have here are pine trees, so if I see trees in the pictures, I am drawn to them. You're so good at getting theme pictures taken.