Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Nana and the babies & Whittier, Alaska

First Nana and the babies.
We were taking a walk after supper one evening.
We stopped for a photo op and this is what we got. I had a great visit and sure do wish they could get transferred to where people know what sweet tea is!!!!
Now Whitter, AK


Another Alaska Picture. This is a picture of the mountain you have to drive threw to get into and out of Whitter, AK. It's a 2 1/2 mile tunnel that is one way only.
A train uses the tunnel too, so all vehicles wait on it of course. All traffic goes into Whitter on the half hour and can only leave on the hour. Whitter was call "The Secret Port" during WWII. It opens up to Prince William Sound. Which gave the US great advantage during the war. The Army built two buildings in Whitter one is abandoned and the other has been turned into condos. The town hall and post office are on the first floor. 98% of the residents of Whitter live in that building. When you come out of the tunnel into Whitter water is on your left and the mountain on your right. I'd call Whitter a "shelf" about 1000 yards long and 800 yards wide. Maybe just me and the other history nerd (Shelia) find this interesting but I just wish I had spent more time there and had taken a picture of the the Condo. Not the greatest picture but I just loved the experience. If you enlarge the photo you can see the entrance to the tunnel leaving Whitter.
You can go to www.ci.whittier.ak.us/about.html to see an aerial shot of the Whittier and why I call it a "Shelf". You can also see Portage Glacier in top left of photo.

2 comments:

jamie said...

OHHHH So cold that day at Whittier!! Maybe I will have to go pay another $12 toll for those pictures of the buildings! I'll start saving now. Did we ever figure out what happened to the 25 cent toll???? LOL

AmyWhit said...

Wow. That is just neat. I followed the link to the aerial shot. Very cool! Didn't Jamie say they had earthquakes in Alaska? I don't think I'd want to be driving 2 1/2 miles underneath a mountain with the possibility of a quake hitting!