Friday, June 15, 2007

Nothing Says Southern Like Magnolias

I just knew someone would beat me to this one. Magnolias are blooming everywhere. The best part when I was taking these pictures is who very sweet the smell was. I got the pictures on the only day this week the sun was shining.

As beautiful as they are they make a mess, we call the seed pods, "magnolia grenades". These are blooming in the courtyard at the old courthouse on Bay Street. I'm not so sure they will be pretty much longer, with the rain that's been beating on them today.
But these are preserved, except for the smell.

*if you click on the pictures, my very favorite is the last one. Even I think it's pretty good.

4 comments:

AmyWhit said...

They are beautiful! My favorite is also the last one. And you're right...it looks even better when you *click to enlarge*!

oldav8r said...

I tried to get the Magnolia shot last week, but when I got the close up it was not perfect. The flower had two brown holes and a spider living inside. YUK. That last pic is a perfect blossom! Great pic Judy.

jamie said...

I like the shots too.... Are becoming a PRO???? Maybe you should print and frame for Aunt Jackie for Christmas. Maybe she wouldn't want to cut your name off of the picture!!Like Granny did mine!LOL.. Frame it before she can say anything...

Good job!!

Shelia said...

Gorgeous! You're right, nothing says "southern" like this flower!