Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Pott Brothers

I am at least the the fifth generation, if not more, in our family to have this cabinet in my home. When I was growing up I thought it belonged my Nanny Sadie (my dad's mom) but after some research I discovered it belonged to "Aunt Julie". Whom of course I never knew and at this point not to many people remember much about her. That's sad. Anyway, It is hand made of Oak, kinda in the mission style. It always had glass in it when I was a kid. And most of the time it was cracked or broken. Somehow, by the time I got it there was no glass. I had a piece of Plexiglas in it for a long time,but now I just have wire, the wood changes with the weather and it would actually bend the Plexiglas. (Explains the broken glass, huh?) Anyway, I love the cabinet. I think it must have been a "pie safe" but I'm not sure. At my Nanny's and Aunt Margie's (my dad's sister) it had books and "stuff" in it. I loved to go through all of the "treasures". My most favorite memory was "Meeting Tom and Paul, the Pott Brothers" As you can see the box is old the date just says 1940. I would love to open the box and greet the Pott brothers with a little girl giggle...every time, I still do even now.
So, let me introduce you to

"T" Pott and "P" Pott, The Pott Brothers...

Known to every household"
I have no idea how this has survived for the last 60 years, but when the kids come to visit we almost always have to go through the "stuff" in the "Pie Safe". We have arrowheads, an old pencil box, a hand carved slingshot, old toys, very old cards with scripture on them that Wayne's Uncle Claude "won" for knowing his Bible verses, old oil cans, a gourd that my great- grandmother used to darn socks (What's that?hehe). Just junk I guess, but by far, just like with me the most popular thing is "Meeting the Pott Brothers!" I also, found in the cabinet a couple of books ''Jane Eyre", "A Gentleman's Agreement", "A Tale of two Cities", " A Christmas Story" all belonging to my dad, when he was in the Navy in 1945. How cool is that? He had written his name in all of them with the date! Like I said I love old things and best of all the old and new memories.

5 comments:

Shelia said...

One of my favorite posts yet. You know I love to hear family stories and looove "old stuff"!

The Pott Brothers are a hoot!

oldav8r said...

Love the family cabinet, but I just had to enlarge the picture of the Pott brothers---I just knew one had to be P. Pott. Caused a giggle, too funny.

AmyWhit said...

LOL@ The Pott Brothers! The cabinet is beautiful. Another one my mom would love to get her hands on, I'm sure!

jamie said...

Mrs.Nancy, stay away from my cabinet!!! LOL. The kids love to look in that ole cabinet!! I always loved the Pott brothers myself!! The kids giggle at it all the time!

Nancy S. said...

I do love the ole cabinet, but I'm sure I couldn't afford it. I enjoyed the stoy behind it too.